Skip to content
Live newsroom 140 readers online
Sunday, August 23, 2026 Live Sync: Just now
Demystifying Finance, Technology, and Global Markets for the Next Generation.
BreakingVin Diesel Says He Would Die for Paul Walker's Daughter Meadow Walker
Commodities BUY ETH Stage 2 (Conv: 5/5 | Size: 20%)

Amnesty International says Farage putting ‘hate and inhumanity’ before leadership with El Salvador prison plan– UK politics live

Q: [From Jack Elsom from the Sun] Can you tell us anything more about the Ann Widdecombe investigation to cover an arson attack at your home? double quotation markShortly before the horrific murder of Ann Widdecombe, I did publicly say something I hadn’t said for a year, which was about an incident that occurred at […]

By deepak · August 10, 2026 · 3 min read

Q: [From Jack Elsom from the Sun] Can you tell us anything more about the Ann Widdecombe investigation to cover an arson attack at your home?

double quotation markShortly before the horrific murder of Ann Widdecombe, I did publicly say something I hadn’t said for a year, which was about an incident that occurred at my home address. The issue was basically arson, and the attempted forcing of the door.

I hadn’t mentioned it for a year, because I generally don’t mention in public the security concerns that I have, because there have been too many of them that have happened.

I spoke about this in the context of me needing to be provided with security clearly to the end of my days.

Ann, 78, been out of office for many, many years. And I discussed that around the issue of money, of my own future protection.

Of course, most of the media organisations in this room called me a liar.

This is a very partial account of what happened earlier this year. Farage did say, in an interview with the Daily Telegraph, that there had been an arson attack on his home which he had not revealed before. You would find it very hard to find any mainstream media organisation that called him a liar. But journalists (including from the Guardian) pointed out that he had given this interview as a “spoiler” because it came when he knew the Guardian was about to publish the story about how he had received an undisclosed £5m donation from the cryptobillionaire Christopher Harborne, and Farage told the Telegraph about the donation and said that it was wholly unrelated to his political work and that it was just a gift to fund his security for the rest of his life (which is why he mentioned the arson attack). Some people are very sceptical about this explanation – particularly in the light of stories like this. Doubts were also raised about the arson story after the Observer reported that, while the police recorded an attempted burglary at Farage’s home, they did not record an arson attack.

In his answer at the press conference, Farage went on:

double quotation markThe truth is, there was an investigation into this.

And clearly counter-terrorism [police] made some mistakes, which is why they referred themselves to the Independent Office of Police Complaints.

I understand this is a completely unprecedented move.

And, yes, this is directly linked to the murder of Ann Widdecombe.

And I’m afraid I just can’t tell you any more than that at this stage.

It’s a great, great tragedy that it took the death of Ann for the security services in Britain to finally take seriously the safety and security of Reform politicians and reform prominent figures.

Up until that moment, we had been treated very differently to everybody else. For example, four days after the murder of Charlie Kirk, I had nearly all of my security removed from me. We have been ignored. Our situation has been undervalued.

Source: Read the original article on www.theguardian.com