{"id":39731,"date":"2026-08-17T12:34:01","date_gmt":"2026-08-17T12:34:01","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/?p=39731"},"modified":"2026-08-17T12:34:01","modified_gmt":"2026-08-17T12:34:01","slug":"anthony-albaneses-teen-social-media-ban-has-a-shark-problem","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/?p=39731","title":{"rendered":"Anthony Albanese&#039;s teen social media ban has a shark problem"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Julie Inman Grant has released the first findings of its expert-led study of the ban&#039;s results. (ABC News: Craig Hansen)<\/p>\n<p>Years into Australia&#039;s quest to get teens off social media, the Albanese government is suddenly in a hurry.<\/p>\n<p>Prime Minister Anthony Albanese last month declared it was &quot;outrageous&quot; that the Coalition and the Greens had voted to scrutinise proposed reforms to social media minimum age law at an inquiry.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>It was oddly urgent for a policy that had been in the works for more than two years \u2014 and one that he declared a &quot;success&quot; a week before it even came into effect.<\/p>\n<p>Now, eight months after the law was implemented, there is a clearer explanation for the government&#039;s haste: its world-first policy for Australians aged under 16 has so far produced little visible change.<\/p>\n<p>Anthony Albanese says it is &quot;outrageous&quot; Coalition and the Greens voted to scrutinise proposed reforms. (ABC News: Matt Roberts)<\/p>\n<p>Late last month, the government&#039;s independent online safety regulator, eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant, released the first findings of its expert-led study of the ban&#039;s results.<\/p>\n<p>The top line was that use of social media by teens had barely budged. Most teens (81.5 per cent) were still using social media after the ban, down just a few percentage points from 85.9 per cent before the ban.<\/p>\n<p>(It also reported a 20 per cent decrease in teens with accounts on social media, although the ban&#039;s law, as written, actually doesn&#039;t require social media companies to stop teens from using social media in a logged-out state).<\/p>\n<p>In a damning submission, an age-check firm warns big fines may be seen as a &quot;small price to pay&quot; if copping them allows Australia&#039;s ban to be &quot;wrongly&quot; be portrayed as a failure.<\/p>\n<p>It found little change to kids&#039; offline activities, problematic internet use or wellbeing, nor to parental stress.<\/p>\n<p>A bigger impact found by the research was that parents are now increasingly in the dark about their teens&#039; social media use, with those who were unaware their teens had used social media going from 23 per cent to 33 per cent.<\/p>\n<p>Then, at the inquiry into the ban&#039;s amendments on Friday, the eSafety Commissioner acknowledged that the office had also seen a rise in messaging and gaming use \u2014 two exclusions from the teen social media ban that, nevertheless, undercut the government&#039;s promise to get kids &quot;back onto the footy field&quot;.<\/p>\n<p>Now, this is just a policy that&#039;s only been in effect for a few months. Online child safety group SmackTalk&#039;s founder Wayne Holesworth told the hearing that it would take three to five years for the ban&#039;s effects to be fully felt.<\/p>\n<p>But it&#039;s still remarkable that, eight months after coming into effect, the most positive case for Albanese&#039;s globally celebrated teen social media ban is: Well, we haven&#039;t actually done it properly yet so it still might work out.<\/p>\n<p><em>Source: <a href='https:\/\/www.abc.net.au\/news\/2026-08-17\/teen-social-media-ban-efficacy-sharks-tech-companies\/107044990' target='_blank'>Read the original article on www.abc.net.au<\/a><\/em><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Julie Inman Grant has released the first findings of its expert-led study of the ban&#039;s results. (ABC News: Craig Hansen) Years into Australia&#039;s quest to get teens off social media, the Albanese government is suddenly in a hurry. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese last month declared it was &quot;outrageous&quot; that the Coalition and the Greens had [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":39732,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"open","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[3],"tags":[],"class_list":["post-39731","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","hentry","category-technology"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/39731","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcomments&post=39731"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/39731\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/media\/39732"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fmedia&parent=39731"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcategories&post=39731"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/futureknowledge.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Ftags&post=39731"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}