Centre-back to join from Chelsea after Acheampong snub
Wharton has three years left on current deal at Palace
Crystal Palace have agreed a deal with Chelsea to sign Axel Disasi on loan and are expecting further interest in some of their key players in the final week of the transfer window, having informed Manchester City that Adam Wharton is not for sale.
Palace have been searching for a replacement for Maxence Lacroix after selling the France defender to Chelsea and are also understood to have approached Xabi Alonso’s side over a potential move for Josh Acheampong. But with Chelsea not willing to allow the England Under-21s international to leave Stamford Bridge, Palace have opted to bring in Disasi instead. The 28-year-old, who spent the second half of last season on loan at West Ham, is set to complete his medical on Friday.
Palace are also hoping to bring in a midfielder before the deadline and have expressed an interest in signing Kévin Danois from Auxerre and Monaco’s Lamine Camara. But it is understood the Conference League winners are determined to keep Wharton after City made an inquiry about the England midfielder this week. The 22-year-old has three years left on his contract at Selhurst Park and it is thought Palace would demand a sizeable fee to consider selling him. Liverpool and Chelsea have both also shown interest in Wharton in the past, with the latter said to be monitoring his situation should City make a bid for Enzo Fernández.
Pierre Sage is hoping Wharton will stay for another season. “We sold big players and now I think it’s not the moment to do that,” said Palace’s manager as he prepared for their Premier League opener against Everton on Saturday. “Adam can play at a big club but I think one year with us, one year with a new dynamic, will be good for him and we need him.”
Sage delivered the same message about Ismaïla Sarr after Palace turned down a bid of about £26m from Galatasaray for the Senegal forward. The Turkish side are expected to return with an improved offer and could face competition from their Istanbul rivals Fenerbache for last season’s top scorer. “We will keep him,” said Sage. “He’s a really important player for the club and for us. He will be able to play this weekend.”
There is, however, a strong possibility that Daniel Muñoz could depart after Palace signed Anan Khalaili last week, and given his fellow new recruits Óscar Mingueza and Zavier Gozo can also fill the right-wingback role. The Colombia defender has entered the final two years of his contract and is thought to be valued at about £25m, with Everton, Nottingham Forest and Tottenham having been linked with him in recent days.