Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Thursday, August 20, dismissed US President Donald Trump’s newly announced economic pressure campaign against Tehran as a continuation of what he described as “failed policies”, warning that it would bring Washington “further defeat”.
Trump had announced the campaign shortly before Araghchi’s remarks, describing it as “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale”. He warned that any country whose financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities provide a lifeline to Iran would face what he called “TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences”.
In a post on X, Araghchi said the so-called “Economic D-Day” was a diversion from what he described as America’s “unprecedented debt” and surging interest costs.
He warned that doubling down on failed policies would only bring further defeat and the “enmity of Iranians”.
Araghchi also accused the United States of pursuing “economic terrorism”, saying it threatens the global economy and sovereignty worldwide.
The so-called “Economic D-Day” is a diversion from America's own crisis: unprecedented debt & surging interest costs. Doubling down on failed policies will only bring further defeat—and enmity of Iranians. US economic terrorism threatens global economy and sovereignty worldwide pic.twitter.com/Qj5SzVBjvX
Oman said lasting security in the Strait of Hormuz requires permanent peace in the region and rejected further escalation or conflict.
Omani Foreign Minister Badr Al Busaidi conveyed the position during a conversation with his Japanese counterpart Toshimitsu Motegi on Thursday.
Al Busaidi said Oman remains committed to working with international partners to support dialogue, justice and peaceful solutions. He also stressed the importance of partnerships based on trust, realism and diplomacy amid uncertainty in the region and the wider world.
معالي السّيد وزير الخارجية ونظيره الياباني يؤكدان خلال مؤتمر صحفي بمسقط على أهمية التوصّل إلى اتفاق نهائي وحلّ سياسي يُفضي إلى خفض التوترات في المنطقة، وتكثيف الجهود الدولية لضمان حرية الملاحة البحرية في مضيق هرمز وفقًا للقانون الدولي، وضمان انسيابية حركة النقل البحري وإمدادات… pic.twitter.com/2DiGZL8osS
An Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps spokesman said Iran was continuing to develop and produce weapons with greater precision, destructive power and technological capability.
He said Iran had never stopped producing or developing weapons and was making progress every day.
The spokesman warned that if another war broke out, Iran’s weapons would be different from those used previously, potentially involving changes to warheads, accuracy or missile range.
At least 18 US military personnel have been killed and 757 wounded since the start of the war with Iran, according to Pentagon casualty data cited by CNN.
The Pentagon recorded more than 50 additional wounded personnel in a database update on Wednesday, taking the number of injured US service members above 750.