Skip to content
Live newsroom 51 readers online
Wednesday, August 19, 2026 Live Sync: Just now
Business and future technology newspaper
Finance. Technology. Markets.
BreakingControversial Channel 4 ADHD documentary sparks complaints as viewers label it ‘grossly irresponsible’
Business

Proposed Detention Plan Would Reportedly Pack Eight Migrant Kids Into a Room Sharing Only One Toilet

Donald Trump's administration is quietly seeking contractors to build a vast new network of detention campuses that could hold up to 3,000 unaccompanied migrant children in a single 'emergency influx facility' in the United States, according to available documents. These children are minors who crossed the US‑Mexico border without a parent or legal guardian and […]

By deepak ¡ August 19, 2026 ¡ 3 min read

Donald Trump's administration is quietly seeking contractors to build a vast new network of detention campuses that could hold up to 3,000 unaccompanied migrant children in a single 'emergency influx facility' in the United States, according to available documents.

These children are minors who crossed the US‑Mexico border without a parent or legal guardian and are now held in more than 150 government‑funded shelters.

Federal health officials claimed the rapid site mobilisation blueprint addresses growing capacity pressures as second-term border policies intensify.

The unfolding developments coincide with widespread administrative disruption surrounding legal representation grants for thousands of minors in federal custody.

It is the latest escalation in a system critics say is veering away from child protection and edging towards industrial‑scale warehousing.

The outline given to prospective contractors on Tuesday is stark. Each facility must be able to confine eight children per room, with those eight sharing a single toilet, shower and sink. Recreation space does not have to be outdoors. An eight‑foot perimeter fence is mandatory.

Officials from the Administration for Children and Families, the Health Department arm that oversees unaccompanied minors, told companies they want 'rapid site mobilisation' and a 'phased ramp‑up' that would allow at least 400 children to be detained within 30 days of a contract being signed. Task orders could then scale up to requests for 1,000 additional beds at a time.

One official's explanation was blunt. 'This gives us speed,' they told the call. 'We're looking to see whatever you got.' The agency has not confirmed where the complexes would be built but said it aims to award contracts by the end of the year, signalling a desire to move quickly once a provider is chosen.

The physical specifications are couched in the language of logistics, not childhood. Each site must sit within 30 miles of a hospital and within 30 miles of paediatric care, dentists, behavioural health providers and diagnostic services.

Ideally, it should also be within 60 miles of an airport. Quarantine space is built into the design: at least 40 beds in a 400‑bed site, 100 in a 1,000‑bed operation, and 300 quarantine beds in a full 3,000‑child facility.

Even the playground is negotiable. The government's usual requirement of one acre of recreation area per 100 children can be 'a combination of indoor and outdoor', and 'does not need to be a single continuous plot,' officials said.

The push for mega‑facilities lands as Trump's second‑term immigration machine intensifies. According to ProPublica, immigration judges have been issuing more than 10,000 removal and voluntary departure orders for immigrant minors every month, far outstripping the pace during his first stint in the White House.

That legal pressure is not theoretical. Last year, as Immigration and Customs Enforcement brushed off warnings from lawyers and advocates about a broader child‑deportation drive, attorneys scrambled to block what they believed were imminent flights.

In one case, lawyers for Guatemalan teenagers in US custody stopped a middle‑of‑the‑night operation after filing a series of sworn statements describing the children's fear of being abruptly sent back.

Those attorneys later accused the Trump administration of trying to push some youngsters into 'self‑deportation' through 'misinformation, coercion, threats and fear.' The allegations remain contested, but they sit uneasily beside the new plan to gather thousands of children in fenced compounds that can be expanded at short notice.

Source: Read the original article on www.ibtimes.co.uk