Australian Cam Smith will have his LIV Golf season end one week early. (Reuters: Imagn Images/Dennis Schneidler)
The 2026 LIV Golf season will end this week with LIV Golf Indianapolis, which starts on Thursday.
The season-ending team's championship event was scheduled the following week in Michigan.
LIV Golf has announced an agreement with a lead investor that will sustain a new version of the league for 2027, after the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia withdrew its funding.
LIV Golf is ending its season one week earlier than planned, announcing on Monday it will not hold the team championship in Michigan next week and instead crown the team champion this week.
The 12 events this year — New Orleans was previously postponed — are the smallest schedule for LIV since it was launched with massive Saudi Arabian funding and eight tournaments in 2022.
Jon Rahm has already clinched the individual season title for the third straight year. LIV Golf Indianapolis, which starts on Thursday at The Club at Chatham Hills, will determine who finishes second and third among the players, and the top team.
The future of LIV Golf Adelaide has been further "shrouded in doubt", the SA opposition says, after LIV asked for an extension on a payment to Kooyonga Golf Club, which is scheduled to host the event next year.
The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, the financial muscle of the rival league from the start, decided in March this would be the final year of funding.
LIV Golf announced earlier this month it had an agreement with a lead investor that would sustain a new version of the league for 2027.
"By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands," LIV CEO Scott O'Neil said in a statement.
"We are reimagining LIV Golf as a fundamentally new league owned by the players and anchored in a sustainable business model, with an evolved fan experience built for the markets where the game is growing fastest across the globe and the support of world-class partners."
The cancellation of LIV Golf Michigan was not surprising.
There have been reports in recent weeks the tournament had not even started preparing with grandstands and other amenities. LIV Golf said ticket holders would get refunds.
In another cost-cutting move LIV attributed to "unavoidable changes in the entertainment program", the league informed Thomas Rhett and Disco Lines their live performances would not take place at LIV Golf Indianapolis.