Home » Nation and Beyond » Jharkhand student leader warns struggle will continue if talks fail
Jharkhand student leader Devendra Nath Mahato expressed optimism ahead of a new round of discussions with the state government, while warning that the protest movement will persist if the government does not meet student expectations.
The student protest at Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi entered its 24th day on August 17, with demonstrators opposing alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).
Regarding the government’s invitation to talks and its decision to permit students to bring legal experts, Mahato stated his hope that the negotiations would yield a solution ensuring a fair education and examination system for future generations.
“There is hope and faith. But if the government fails to live up to it, the struggle will continue. I hope the talks satisfy the students, and we want an education system to emerge—a system that for generations to come, for those currently in first, second, or third grade, or in school, or in +2, when those students face competitive exams, they shouldn’t have to face such struggles,” he said.
“They shouldn’t face paper leaks, malpractices, or favoritism. A consensus should be built on such an education system. Because SIT investigations, CBI inquiries, and cancellations—we have seen plenty of them. In this, many students… it just feels like we forced the government to bow, but many students don’t get justice,” he added.
Mahato recalled the cancellation of the Jharkhand Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examination, explaining that the problem has persisted despite repeated efforts.
“We, the students… this CGL was cancelled under my leadership on January 29, 2024. The exam was held again, and malpractice happened again. We will get it cancelled again, the exam will happen again, and malpractice will occur again. The same has been happening in JPSC as well. Irregularities happened, so cancellations will occur. But through mere cancellations and inquiries, students don’t get justice,” he said.
He emphasised that the ongoing movement must result in systemic reforms to benefit future generations.
“Especially the coming generation of students, they don’t get justice from this. That is why such a big struggle, and the support coming from across all of India, will only be meaningful when there is an education system where students get justice for generations to come,” Mahato said.
He also confirmed that planned protests on August 20, including a gherao of the Chief Minister’s residence and the Vidhan Sabha, will proceed if the negotiations do not yield satisfactory results.
“Look, on the 20th, the CM house gherao and Vidhan Sabha gherao stand as scheduled, and students will storm in completely; they won’t back down because everyone’s patience has run out. But we want the government to hold talks and make them successful; otherwise, students are no longer in a mood to listen,” he added.
Concerning his health, Mahato reported suffering low blood pressure the day before, despite medication, explaining, “The health condition was quite low on blood pressure all day yesterday. Even with the medication that previously kept low BP under control, it couldn’t be maintained yesterday. There was a heavy feeling in the head, and despite the medication running, it wasn’t getting controlled. At night, after getting some sleep, it feels a bit better than before.”
This story is written by TNM Bureau with inputs from ANI. The News Mill is a Guwahati-based digital media with focus on content from across Northeast India and beyond. We can be reached through [email protected]